CREATE: bleach spilled quilt

i have been searching for the right new bedding to add to our master bedroom.  i just wanted to lighten up the room with something fun and fresh. the trick is that we have a california king bed...which isn't easy (or affordable) to find bedding for.  i finally found the perfect quilt at target, got it home to wash and then promptly spilled bleach on it.  i honestly didn't even know a bottle of bleach was even in our laundry cabinet and of course, the lid was somehow loose. i was so mad at myself!!  

i sat and stewed over it for a few hours...wondering if i should try to somehow cover up the spill or if i should add more bleach to make it look like it was on purpose.  i finally decided on covering up.  my concern with adding more bleach was weakening the fabric and eventually, the bleach would turn into holes.  i even broke into my special stash of discontinued fabrics to make it work.  i am honestly thrilled with the way it turned out!  it wasn't anything like i expected to have but now that it's in our room, i am really pleased with it. i guess some accidents truly are happy accidents! 

the actual spill was about twice this size, along the entire side of the quilt. 

the actual spill was about twice this size, along the entire side of the quilt. 

i basically made a long, skinny quilt of the fabrics i liked and then stitched them to the existing quilt.  i added an anna maria horner ribbon along each side to finish of the edges. 

i basically made a long, skinny quilt of the fabrics i liked and then stitched them to the existing quilt.  i added an anna maria horner ribbon along each side to finish of the edges. 

i also added a few new florals to our current felt flora piece to tie into the new quilt. 

i also added a few new florals to our current felt flora piece to tie into the new quilt. 

_DSC0079.jpg